Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How to top Canadian Burgers and Thai Hainan Chicken in Hong Kong

*Sadly all the pictures in this post are not actual pictures that I took. My camera battery is dead, and I didn't plan ahead for HK outlets.

It's been three years or more since I had Triple O's -- but I tracked down the BC-based burger store here through some very foggy memory. Every bit as tasty as I remembered.



I've been staying with friends at Shiu Fai Terrace -- just down the street from where I stayed the first time I came to Hong Kong. The view looking out over Happy Valley toward Causeway Bay is amazing.



In the picture Shiu Fai Terrace is part of the small cluster of buildings on the bend in the road along the left side.

For dinner, I really lucked out: I just stumbled down the hill from J & D's place at Shiu Fai Terrace and found a great restaurant called Thai Hainan Chicken Rice -- or something like that. (Actually first I went up the hill as far as I could go on foot (before the sidewalke ended, then I turned around and walked back down toward Wanchai the way I have been walking to Central every day.) Now, searching for a picture for the restaurant, I see that it has received good reviews. But basically, I just went by the menu, the cool chairs and the fact that the place was mostly full. The restaurants namesake dish (Hainan Chicken Thai-style) notwithstanding, I got green curry (with those tasty little Thai eggplants), which was great.



Then, I followed it up with perhaps my favorite food of all time:



Well, mine had black AND white glutinous rice and the mango was cut differently. But you get the idea. Yum. And that's probably the only way to top Triple O's and good Green Curry.

No comments: