Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Thoughts from McDonalds and Nihilism

Just got lunch at McDonalds in the mall and overheard 9-year old: "Let's eat over there by Starbucks it's all ghetto here."

Later, was discussing nihilism, in the wake of No Country for Old Men--which I had said some wrongfully label as nihilistic. That got me to thinking about Nietzsche.

Back in college, I came up with a few shorthand, crude but "existentialism-for-dummies" ways of talking about major philosophers so that I had something to say, in response to question #3 on the getting to know you list:
1. where are you from
2. what are you studying
3. really, what [good] is that?
(I'm not here to defend those shorthand, not necessarilly accurate spiels, the ideas that existentialism is philosophy, or the idea that it is particularly good philosophy. Nonetheless, to continue storytelling,)

At the time, I would accuse Nietzsche of making the following logical blunder.
(1) There is no objective meaning, purpose or truth in life. Or, phrased differently, there is no morality according to which you should live.
(2) Therefore, you should reject morality, become ubermensch and dominate, etc.

The logical blunder being, as I would say, is that he deduced from *there is no "truth" to tell anyone what he should do* that *one should act, think or believe a certain way.* I mean, if there's no point, there's no point, right? How can a "thou shalt" follow from "there are no thou-shalts."

Years later, with most of Nietzsche forgottenl, and with larger, denser clouds accumulating over what I might have once understood of his ideas, I had this epiphany: What if (2), above, is not a conclusion at all? I mean, he states his point--and then exhibits a will to power. (1) There is nothing to believe in! (2) Therefore, "You should do as I say."

That, in turn, made me think of Hans Lottenbach, upon handing out paper assignments: "If you cannot even spell Nietzsche accurately, how accurately do you think the reader will believe you can understand his ideas?"

EDIT: does anyone want an early German copy of Also Sprach Zarathustra?

1 comment:

Michael Hurwitz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.